Our G.I.R.L.S Move project is all about empowerment and physical activity, supporting young people to become more physically active in a non-traditional way. We work with young people aged 11-15 to build their self confidence and self-esteem and provide leadership training.
YMCA has made me stronger and supported me through some hard times.
Sophie, G.I.R.L.S Move Peer Mentor
The 10 week programme is designed to enable young people to develop the confidence and self-esteem to participate in social action, and become more proactive in their community. Our aim is to change lives through a wide range of positive and aspirational activities.
The ten week training programme:
- 5 x 2 hour workshops around body image, self-esteem, physical/emotional confidence, healthy lifestyles, self-belief and resilience
- Each session will include 45 minutes of physical activity. Don’t worry! This doesn’t have to be traditional sports, we can do anything from “Snapchat hide and seek” to a drum and bass workout!
- 5 x 2 hour workshops around leadership skills, teamwork, and the planning and delivery of small social action projects
- 45 minutes of physical activity including ‘Capture the flag’, walking, hoola hooping and much more
- Physical activity is chosen by the participants of the programme
If you’re aged 11–15 years old and want to increase your confidence and self-esteem or would like to improve or learn leadership skills as part of the G.I.R.L.S move project, get in touch today.
G.I.R.L.S Move Sessions
Come along to one of our weekly sessions:
- Wednesdays 4pm – 6.30pm at Laurel Road Community Sports Centre
- Saturdays 3pm – 5.30pm at Handsworth Park