Our Young Adult Carer Service is here for you.
- Delivering food parcels and hot meals door step visits
- Online 1-1 meetings and assessments
- Safe and well checks
- Information about ‘What if’ plans
- Clarification on shielding and supporting those with underlying health conditions
- Information regarding supermarket initiative shopping times and venues
Hints and Tips for Carers:
- Self-isolate if unwell
- Limit the amount of negative news you consume relating to virus; instead watch positive, educational or fun content
- Revisit hobbies and interests like music or exercise
- Play board games and quizzes to pass the time
Are you aged 16-25?
Do you care for someone with a disability, illness or addiction?
The YMCA Sutton Coldfield Upbeat Project offers free, tailored support services for Young Adult Carers like you.
From support groups and weekly drop-in sessions to individual life coaching, we can support you and your family and help you to achieve your goals.
Knowing I have someone to talk to on a day-to-day basis is really important. If I took my problems home, it would make things worse for my Mum.
Robin, Young Adult Carer
HOW WE CAN HELP
The Upbeat Project can support you in areas such as personal development and self-esteem as well as providing access to flexible respite opportunities to combine education, training or employment with a caring role. We aim to empower you and your family and support you with current and future aspirations. Our support services include:
- 1-2-1 support and Life Coaching sessions delivered by a qualified Life Coach
- Full statutory Carer assessment
- Help and support to obtain an official Carers Card
- Wellbeing assessment
- Online training opportunities
- Flexible family crisis support sessions
- CV writing, employment opportunities and workshops to improve skills
- Food parcel service to those experiencing financial difficulties
- Regular drop-in sessions, weekly and monthly, at a local coffee shop and colleges where carers can get help and talk about issues and concerns
- Workshops throughout the year on a range of useful topics
- Respite opportunities and residential trips that offer a chance to socialise, meet other young adult carers, and gain new experiences along the way
We run a variety of FREE workshops on different topics for discussion and friendly debate. The topics support young people moving into our Young Adult Carer service, which have been identified by Young Carers as areas they would find useful.
As a young adult carer, you will be able to ask questions and get a better understanding of your caring role, how it affects you personally, and the likely impact on you both now and in the future.
Our workshops are available for all Young Carers. However, they are particularly helpful for Young Adult Carers aged 17+. Future dates and topics of workshops.
- Monday 12th February 2024, 1.30pm-3.00pm Healthy Wellbeing Options & Techniques, YMCA Sutton Coldfield, B72 1LE
- Wednesday 29th May 2024, 1.00pm-2.30pm: Budgeting & Finance for Independent Living, YMCA Sutton Coldfield, B72 1LE
Or you can email Birmingham Carers Hub at YAC@birminghamcarershub.org.uk.
We offer drop-in sessions for Young Adult Carers to access support, get help from our staff and meet other Young Adult Carers in a friendly, informal setting.